Evansville, WI asked in Child Custody for Wisconsin

Q: My 15 yr old wants to come live with me. Her dad and i were never married and never went to court for custody.

Can i keep her when she comes for the summer. CPS has been called on her dad and gf twice and nothing has been done. She isnt safe...She lives by lacrosse Wi and i live by Madison...what can i do....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Considering that it doesn't sound like there are any existing court orders regarding placement and custody, it seems to me that you would be best off petitioning the court in Dane County for custody and placement orders. Without any existing orders in place, you would most likely have to open an action for DNA/Paternity in order to eventually get a court order for physical placement and legal custody. Just remember that custody and placement are two different things; custody is the ability to make important decisions for the child and physical placement refers to the ability to actually see the child and determine where the child lives. It may not be a bad idea to seek help from a family law attorney in the Madison area before you decide to file the motion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.