Asked in Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: How do i add my name to my sons birth certificate without his mothers cooperation and how do I find out who has custody?

She signed over custody for a period of time to someone else because she couldnt provide for him and I have no idea if it is still in effect.I was incarcerated for 2 1/2 years out of 3 of my sons life.Ive always wanted to be involved but his mother was uncooperative. She currently has our child under the impression her live in bf is his father and will not allow me to tell him I am his father.I'm only allowed to see him once a week for a few hours at a time.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I want to fight for custody but I'm afraid to make his mother angry because she has threatened to just sever all contact.I am employed stable and have no history of violence or abuse.I just want the chance to raise my son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hope, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If the mother of the child does not agree to the name change, you will have to petition a court to change the birth certificate. There are several factors that a court will use to determine whether it is in the child's best interest to allow the name change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.