Evans, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Georgia

Q: If both parents are in agreement to end child support can that modification be done out of court in GA?

Parents are divorced. Can a father voluntarily relinquish parental rights when both parties agree and would this end child support payments the mother no longer wants them. All in the state of GA child is 8 year old.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should seek the advice of a qualified Georgia Family Law attorney. Your question does not have enough information to answer completely. All decisions regarding this type of matter, child support, medical expenses, insurance coverage, etc are set the standard of the "best interested of the child." I cannot imagine any court would agree, under any circumstances, that this would be in the best interest of the child. However, there may be a situation that a court would rule favorably on this. It depends on the reason for it. Again, that reason must be "in the best interest of the child." It's very difficult to see a way clear for that to happen. Good luck!


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.