Upper Marlboro, MD asked in Medical Malpractice for West Virginia

Q: Question regarding medical malpractice.

Q: I actually have two questions. My father passed away in Sept 2016, until now the subject was too sensitive to speak of.

Recently I've began to think about a couple of things. When my father was in the hospital a couple weeks before he passed away the hospital lost his hearing aids, so the last weeks of his life he could not communicate with my or any of the family. The hospital never did anything to correct this issue. I feel that I missed out on a lot due to my father not being able to hear me. Is there anything I could to for compensation for this matter? Question 2, I discovered that my father was prescribed and had been taking Ambien CR 12.5 at the age of 83-88, he had renal failure and leukemia. The doctor that was prescribing this medication recently retired. Reading the warnings for Ambien, I saw that it should not be taken by anyone over age 60, and no one with renal problems. Do I have any possible chance for compensation for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Unlikely you do but the estate may. As to the hearing aid issue, I don't see legal liability (which is different from moral responsibility). If the family didn't see it should the hospital? If the family saw it they could have replaced it?

Why not contact a member of the W.Va. Trial Lawyers Assn that hanldes medical cases--they give free cosults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.