Knoxville, TN asked in Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: I am married but separated. I am pregnant with another mans child. Does my husband's name have to go on birth certificat

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: There is a presumption in law that a child born when parties are married is a child of the marriage. Even if the husband has been absent or the parties separated for years, if married, the presumption exists. However, the correct way to overcome the presumption is file a petition to establish paternity and introduce dna evidence of the biological father. This is the short answer and you need to talk with a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.