Smithfield, ME asked in Contracts and Collections for Maine

Q: Maine-I filed small claims action 4 breach of contract re: dog breeding, I won, Defendant did not pay judgement $6000 by

deadline, had been given means 2 do so by courts in ruling by selling pups in her possession awarded 2 plaintiff 2 be placed from defendants residence due 2 health concerns. I then filed a contempt case & won. Defendant ordered 2 pay $1000 what they claimed they had left after spending rest elsewhere wi 24/hrs & did so-judgement ruled no limits 2 collection by plaintiff 4 rest owed ($5000), but they refuse 2 pay & collects SSI as well. Defendant has broken state laws regarding breeding of dogs failing 2 get proper licenses & federal laws by not reporting any income from dog breeding for 18 yrs 10-30,000/yr/on SSI, now fraudulently claiming relative taking over breeding kennel & has no means 2 pay, but still breeding & raising pups in her home now, has means & capability 2 pay but refusing. Question is-Do I, can I file for 2nd contempt case or file for a disclosure hearing. Contracts, tax returns, plaintiff's testimony, etc., prove case, they have no property to sell to collect either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elliott R. Teel
Elliott R. Teel
  • Portland, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Sounds like you have done a good job so far. I would say do a disclosure hearing and request all their financials - bank statements, tax returns, debts, and business P&L statements. Then the court can set a payment plan or a deadline for full payment, again enforceable by a contempt action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.