Sundance, WY asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Colorado

Q: If the "victim" of a crime tries to make contact with the other party who's case was deferred, could that nullify the

Judgement and reverse the court order? Colorado law please? Possible statutes to look at?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The answer is "it depends." If there is a no contact order that order does NOT bind the victim from trying to contact the Defendant. This is a dangerous situation - if the person on the deferred judgement receives the contact and then responds to it - THEY would bein violation of the no contact order and therefore in violation of the deferred judgement. The rule is this - never - ever - ever - have contact with a the victim if there is a no contact order that is a condition of sentence. It does not matter WHO initiates contact - the Defendant will always be held accountable. HMS

Nelson Patrick Boyle agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.