Norcross, GA asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Georgia

Q: how do you ensure probation/charges do not show up on your record?

I am being charged with two count of neglect and failure to restrain. The prosecuter said it is a minimum 6 month probation.

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Arrest and conviction records for criminal cases are controlled by federal and state law. If your mugshot and fingerprints were obtained, you HAVE a "record."

Whether that offense is ever removed from your record depends on the naure of the plea proceedings, and what is agreed and made part of the criminal record. Georgia law limits what cases can obtain "record restriction."

Your best bet is to NOT try to represent yourself. Get a local criminal defense lawyer to try to help you minimize the lifetime impact such a conviction might cause.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.