Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: If I'm the biological father can my name be removed from my daughter's birth certificate?

I don't want it to but my ex wife wants it removed so if she remarries her new husband can adopt our daughter...

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Her new husband cannot adopt your daughter and have her name changed without your permission, or unless she and the new husband file a petition to terminate your parental rights. If you have been in the child's life, provided child support, and have not been found unfit as a father or acted in such a way that you could be considered a danger to the child, it should be difficult to terminate your rights. If a petition to terminate your rights and adopt the child is filed, you have a right to receive notice of that petition and right to defend against it.

Leonard Robert Grefseng agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.