Slinger, WI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: I have a suspended CS order and another claim against my ex got filed in the meantime, how is % figured, as I filed 1st?

When my ex went to prison I suspended the child support order I had against him for our two children. 8 years later he is out of prison and hasn't offered any help and now I find out he has child support taken out of his wages for another child he had. I assume that she is receiving 17%. My question is, once I restart my suspended order, since I filed 9 years ago and the new order just started this year, who will get what percentage?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: For two children, the flat rate percentage standard in Wisconsin is 25% of the paying parent's gross income. There are a number of different reasons one could argue for the court to deviate from this percentage standard if the court finds that the use of the percentage is unfair to the child or to any of the parties, however, the percentage standard is the state's default child support calculation. There are also different formulas that can be used for the calculation based on the context of the situation. Since he only has children between two different mothers, I don't believe another formula would be applicable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.