Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for West Virginia

Q: My mom was in the hospital from trying to commit suicide and then was placed under suicide watch

While being in suicide watch she was able to leave her room barracade herself and hang herself she died but the hospital was able to revive her can I sue and win the case for the hospital's negligence to even let it happen in the first place

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Michael Burke
D. Michael Burke
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Martinsburg, WV

A: No, you cannot sue for anything. If there is a case, it is your mother's case. The hospital may be negligent, but the damages your mother suffered may not justify spending the substantial money and investing the time it takes to prosecute a medical negligence case. If your mother, or her qualified representative, is interested in pursuing her potential case, she should contact a local attorney who handles medical malpractice cases to see if the potential verdict in the locale would justify litigating the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.