Holmen, WI asked in Estate Planning for Wisconsin

Q: Mom passed away before a deed transfer to me could be signed by her. I'm still paying the mortgage but what now?

My mother had became very ill In late February. She wanted to transfer the deed into my name upon her death, sadly she passed away last monday before she could sign the paperwork. I know she wanted me to have the home I just don't no what to do now. She don't owe much on it maybe 9,000. My question is..... what do I do. I thought she had more time and it would be figured out but the people that built her home took 3 months to get me a letter stating the home could be deeded to me after death. (Habitat for Humanity) is who the home was built through. I need help I don't no what to do or expect. Please help me.

Sincerely, April.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: If the house was in her name alone at the time of her death you need to go through probate to have it transferred now. Habitat for Humanity mortgages often contain 'unusual' clauses about transferring property so it would be wise to bring the paperwork to a local attorney to review to determine what you can and should do at this point BEFORE you begin any proceedings.

Use the find a lawyer feature of this website to find someone near you who can help!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Thomas B. Burton agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.