Hot Springs National Park, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: My mother wants to leave her house to my wife and I. What is the best way to do this to ensure her wishes are honored?

She has asked us to move in with her to care for her until her death. We will be responsible for paying the bills, upkeep and repairs (which could be quite costly) on the house. I also have a full sibling (who has agreed to this arrangement) and 4 half-siblings who have no contact with my mother. What is the best course of action to ensure her wishes are honored and also to protect us since we will be spending a significant amount of money on the property? Should she add our names to the deed now? Would a will specificaly naming me as her son and leaving a token amount for the other sibling/half siblings be better? Should she create a trust? She doesn't know where to start this process and we don't know what to tell her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Skye Martin
Skye Martin
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: I would suggest contacting an attorney who deals with estate planning and trusts. She will probably want to have both a trust and a new will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.