Muskegon, MI asked in Elder Law for Michigan

Q: Am I responsible for my elder parents care if I haven't seen or talked to them in 20 years due to abuse

My parents live 9 hrs away I live in Michigan they live in Michigan also I have 3 sisters only 1 will talk to them none of us have money and none of us want them to live with us I do not want either my mom or dad living with me nor do I feel I should be responsible for paying for a nursing home or any care for them my dad went to prison for abusing me my mom's chose to stay with him and I went to foster home at 16 do I legally have to do anything or pay for anything my sister who talks to them said they also have no money or savings or life insurance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You have no legal obligation to pay debts of your parents unless you sign an agreement to do so. In the situation you describe, I do not feel you could be legally compelled to contribute to any of their debts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.