Park Forest, IL asked in Workers' Compensation and Business Law for Illinois

Q: Employer is offering only me a very small settlement on a permanent back injury. What should I do?

I have a part time and a full time job. I was off of both jobs for 6 months due to a work related injury at my full time job. My Dr. released me back to my part time job a month before releasing me back to the full time job where I was injured at. The reason my dr. release me was because I was going to lose my part time job and that job was within the permanent restrictions. During this time off the full time job where I was injured at never once offered me a light duty position. As a result I have been released to both jobs with permanent back injury. My full time employer where I was injured at has offered me a very low settlement because I went back to my part time job earlier. Now I have to go back to school for something else since I can no longer can do that type of work anymore. This situation is so unfair! My attorney thinks I should settle but I don't think its enough to compensate my permanent back injury!! What should I do???

(Settlement offer is less than $50K)

1 Lawyer Answer

Steve McCann

  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Since you are represented by an attorney, you should direct all of your questions to him or her. If you are not satisfied with their answers, then consider consulting and hiring another attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.