Cabot, AR asked in Family Law and Health Care Law for Tennessee

Q: In TN can a parent have an adult child admitted for drugs and serious counseling, for domestic abuse?

She doesn't work, 27 years old, did have a high IQ. Not sure what damage drugs have done. We do know some of her memories are actually her 16 year old sisters memories. There is so much she does not remember. We just found out she has been doing meth for almost 3 years, smokes pot all the time, any kind of pills, she is snorting pills and she is drinking whiskey to the point of black out. She can get very violent, she cusses me out terribly when in a rage if I try and talk to her. She has started cussing out her sister. She will come in late and high, change her clothes and go out with someone else. Sometimes she will come home and sometimes it can be a couple of days. I found Saturday she has been seeing the man that nearly killed her at her job a little over a year ago. She remembered one hit. He broke his hand, that's how hard he was hitting her face. He stomped her hands, her neck, she could not eat for 3 weeks. She adores her pets but doesn"t care. She never healed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Regrettably, no, I am not aware of any procedure for requiring an individual to be hospitalized for drug addiction.

In some situations, family can conduct an "intervention" where they confront the individual and convince them to voluntarily admit themselves to rehab. Your situation is tragic, but the person has to acknowledge that they need help before rehab can help them. There is a process for "judicial hospitalization" for people who exhibit mental health problems- someone has to file paperwork and convince a Judge that the person is a danger to themselves or others ( for example, a suicide attempt, or other bizarre behavior, acting 'crazy"). If the Judge agrees, the person can be taken ( even against their will) to the hospital where they can be held for 72 hours. Usually, during this 3 day period, the doctors can give them medication to calm them down etc so they can be released. Your problem sounds more like drug addiction than mental health problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.