Madison, WI asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: I'm worried about retaliation. Do I need to give special notice to my husband before I file for divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: The only required notice you have to give to your husband is once you actually file the petition for divorce. You begin the process by filling out a summons and petition for divorce. In order to move forward with the divorce, your husband needs to be served with the summons and petition which would then put him on notice of the initiated divorce action. If you are concerned he may act in a way that may put you in danger, you might want to consider filing a motion for a temporary order hearing as well to request the court to make immediate orders for the interim of the divorce. I recommend seeking the assistance of an attorney in your area to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.