Asked in Employment Law for New Mexico

Q: What is a " timely manner"? If still employee with the company.

I work for an at will employer worked for 25 hours that I did not receive on my latest pay check, and no-one can tell me why or when I will be paid. I've contacted district manager project manager regional manager and hr with no response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent A. Howell
Trent A. Howell
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: In general, an employer must, on regular, bi-monthly paydays, fully pay employees for all work done within the prior two weeks. NM Stat § 50-4-2 (2015). If the employee is discharged, the employee must make the payment within five days of the discharge. NM Stat § 50-4-4 (2015). If the employee quits, the employer must make the payment by the next regular payday after the employees quits. NM Stat § 50-4-4 (2015). If the employer fails to do so, there may be penalties.

This is not legal advice to you, but a general idea of the law. Whether and how it applies to you would depend on the details of your employment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.