Mukwonago, WI asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Wisconsin

Q: How do I determine which county to file a small claims judgement/garnishment in?

The defendant lives and works in Milwaukee County, but the claim event occurred in Waukesha County.

I know that the sheriff's department can't cross county lines to serve them, but is it possible to file the claim in Waukesha county, and then have a Milwaukee sheriff serve them? Or should the claim be filed in the county where the summons will be served?

1 Lawyer Answer
William F Sulton
William F Sulton
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: The lawsuit should be filed in the Circuit Court for Waukesha County; that is where the events happened. The rules on service of process are simple. You just need to have someone other than you serve the defendant(s) with authenticated copies of the summons and complaint. The Office of the Sheriff for Milwaukee can do that for you. So can a private process server or someone you know.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.