Fort Sumner, NM asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New Mexico

Q: my visitation was set 4 years ago when my child was an infant. how do i go about revising my visitation schedule?

i am paying child support and have been since april. his mother and i were together at the time and we saw eachother frequently. now that were not together any more she is only allowing me to see my son for 3 hours 3 days out of the month like the court order says, but was set in my absence as i was incarcerated and the child was an infant. now hes in school and talking and loves me as his father and i live 2 hours away, i need to see him on a set schedule and not just when sarah is playing nice. i want to have my son in my life more to teach him and be his father.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: To change the terms on which you can see your son, you will have to file a motion to modify custody with the Court. You should describe in the motion what circumstances have changed. The Court may hear your motion or refer you for other services first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.