Fort Bragg, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Iowa

Q: My mother died without a will in Iowa. My stepfather died months later. Do I have any rights to her half without a will?

My father had taken care of taking my mom's name off of his checking and the house deed. So it seems I might have lost any right to their estate since there is a will that was unsigned at the attorney's office naming my brother and I to inherit everything. My step father did not have children. His brothers are dead and his nieces and nephews are the legal heirs. Is there nothing we can do to inherit our mother's half? Four of the five have said they will sign a family agreement to honor my stepfather's wishes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Contact an experienced probate attorney in Iowa (or California, perhaps). If your mom died without a will, her spouse and children should share her property. It may be hard to recover money or property that has vanished, but if your step-father died with property, you may still be able to prove what should have come to you from your mom's estate. Don't wait any longer. Time is not on your side. can help you find a suitable attorney in the right state. Many offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

PS: My comments here are for general information and are not legal advice on your specific situation. My comments also do not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. Consult a lawyer in your state for specific legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.