Denver, CO asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Mexico

Q: 2 AC units in home. Owner would only turn on unit on bottom floor. Is this legal?

Earlier this summer when heat was over 100,our bottom swamp cooler cooled house downstairs to 78-79 and upstairs 80 and above as high as 87 some days. We pay our rent every month. What can we do?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Humphreys
David Humphreys
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: Read your lease agreement. Write a letter to the landlord if you believe there is a breach of the lease. Notify the landlord that he is in breach if the lease agreement supports your view. Be careful before you decide to take action on your interpretation of the lease. You might want to consult a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.