Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas

Q: If I'm 16 and pregant I'll be 17 before i have the baby. Could my mom make me give my baby away?

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: No. It is your baby. If you are unable to care for the child, you may need some help. Help is available from many sources; i.e., church, father of the child, family members, etc. Your mother could get a guardianship over the child if you are unable to care for the child. Caring for the child means having a job, completing school, paying for food, shelter, and clothing. That might be rather difficult without your mother's help. Your mother has no obligation to your child. She does have an obligation to care for you though. Might talk to other family members and the father to care for the child. Now, nothing I have said here carries the enforceability of a Judge. A Judge might do many things depending on the case and facts before him/her. So, you need to file for a paternity action to make the father get a job and pay child support. Someone needs to help you so start calling dad, etc. And be nice to your mother. You are the one who is pregnant. She probably advised you against it. She wants to help but might not be happy about it. Time to start making friends. You be nice. You are still a child and need help. But the answer to your question is "no" your mother cannot make you give your baby away. This is going to be difficult for you and the baby. Putting the child up for adoption might prove just how much you care for the child. You have to notify the father and he might want the child too. Lots of issues. Need a lawyer to help you with this.

AND PLEASE DON'T BE ANGRY WITH ME ABOUT ALL THE THINGS I HAVE SAID HERE. You asked for free help and I am trying to help.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.