Q: If the house deed is on my name can my father's girlfriend be entitled to anything?

My father put my name on the house deed like 2-3 years ago it's still processing, but a few weeks ago he brought his girlfriend to live with us. She hates me and tries to make everything hers, if after a couple years or if my father pass will she be entitled to anything here? Or can I put her out? Even if I go somewhere else to live for a while then come back home will everything still be mines? Or will she have rights to anything here? So don't pay bills all she does is cook sometimes (not for me) and clean sometimes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Only people listed on the deed have a legal interest to the property.

Your father can gift his interest in the property to the GF. Similarly, your father can devise his portion of the home to the GF in a will.

If there are no wills intestate rules apply. For instate purposes, the GF would likely only have a claim based on a subsequent marriage (legal or common law). Note, common law marriage in Colorado does not simply mean living together for a long time...

If you want more details and/or assistance planning your will need to contact a lawyer directly. Expect to pay for the lawyer's advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.