Aurora, CO asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Colorado

Q: What should happen if the DA did not show up to trial and the judge decided to waive right if speedy trial

Trial was continued 4 times first blood test people didn't show second cop didn't show third blood people didn't show and fourth DA DIDN'T show and my lawyer was late and the judge told me in his own words he is waiving my right to speedy trial not sure how but he will find away. Told my lawyer I want to appeal lawyer forgot to fiel appeal with in time expectations. I want an appeal how do I go about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA

A: First, get a different criminal lawyer. You need someone with experience, and who understands appeals.

Claim ineffective assistance of counsel, on the first attorney, and let the new lawyer try to get rid of this case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.