Lebanon, TN asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Son and girlfriend moved in uninvited there is no lease how to remove it's been 3 years

They use injection drugs in my house police say need an eviction notice I live off disability

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will need to file a Detainer Warrant in General Sessions immediately, requesting "For Possession Only". There is a three year Statute of Limitations on Unlawful Detainers, but it is up to them to raise the issue. After Judgment if they are still there you will have to request a Writ of Possession to be entered and executed. It sounds like they will not like Deputies coming to serve process on them. Be careful though as they might try to charge you with domestic violence or some other easily fabricated crime. You should be able to do this yourself.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.