Powder Springs, GA asked in Child Custody, Estate Planning, Child Support and Collections for Georgia

Q: Temporary child custody to grandparents because I am temporarily homeless and I brought my kids to them to have a home

I am 23 with two kids 3 and 7 months old. I recently became homeless and didn't want my kids to be homeless therefore I brought them to my parents house for a temporary living place while I get back on my feet. They want me to sign papers. What are my rights and what should I do? I want to get my kids back and until then have full access to visitation etc

1 Lawyer Answer
William Head
William Head
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You are being asked to give up your legal rights, to your parents. If you sign the papers, that will be the final ruling, most likely. Because I cannot judge WHAT IS BEST FOR THESE CHILDREN, there is no way to give more of an answer. But, that issue should be your guiding light, not what you want. Children need stability and they need to have security, and it sounds like you can currently offer neither. But, your facts (as stated) do not tell the whole story of how this happened.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.