Lansdowne, PA asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Overstayed 10 months. Current file priorty date may 13, 2013. Petitioned by my mom. What's going to happen to my file?

My grandmother filed for my mother when I was 11 years old. I turned 21 before they got through so I was not granted the opportunity to come to the US with her. She is now a US citizen and filled for me. It's been over 4 years. I am currently in the US and have overstayed on my visa 10 months now. I have my 2 kids with me who are also being filed for they are in school and doing well. I regret overstaying but a lawyer misled me. An adjustment of status was to be done but I was told it couldn't. I should just wait on my mother's filing. Now I'm stuck here wanting to stay and wanting to go back to my country. Will all this mess up any possibility of processing my.current file. Filing was done out of new York. But I'm in Pennsylvania

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Please do your self a favor and schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney, preferably an AILA member, as soon as possible. Generally speaking, preference petitions aren't eligible for adjustment of status when the applicant has overstayed their visa. But for case specific information, you should meet with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.