Mableton, GA asked in Criminal Law, Legal Malpractice and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: Can You file a lawsuit against the department of corrections or a warden

If they knowingly put you in harms way that resulted in being assaulted by other inmates and ended up with a broken nose,

after they had already assaulted other inmates and had not been removed and also after telling the Warden your life was in jeopardy

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Possibly have a case. These types of cases must have overwhelming proof of refusal to act to protect your safety.

Contact this attorney, and ask him about the viability of this kind of case. Few lawyers will file these suits, due to sovereign immunity, which our Legislature passed, to keep state agencies from being sued.

John Merchant

701 Whitlock Avenue NW

Suite J43

Marietta, GA 30064

Phone: (404) 828-0969

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.