Wittenberg, WI asked in Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: If my son still lives at home with my ex wife and my ex wife files a report that she no longer wants child suport.

My ex filed this report so I will wipe her slate clean of all the Dr bills she owes me, can she have my son come after me for child support ? He is 18 and emancipated but still in school.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Once your son is 18, you no longer have an obligation to pay your ex-wife child support for that child. Child support needs to be notified of the fact that he has reached 18 years of age. There is no possible way your son to receive child support from you though. Child support is going to be paid to a parent or legal guardian of the children at issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.