Wasilla, AK asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alaska

Q: my daughter has been living with her father for 3 years now and wants to move back to live with me.

I have custody of her but her father and I agreed to let her move to Washington with him. now she has run away and wants to come back. what are my rights as her parent and if I picked her up or flew her home would there be any legal actions he could take against me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: If you have custody under a court order, there would be little risk for you to fly her home. The important thing is to keep the father in the loop. Just keep your daughter safe and work together with her father. If you can't do both, err on the side of keeping your daughter safe. Just keep in mind that a judge may be asked to review what you do. If it's all reasonable and you didn't do anything aimed solely at harming the father's relationship with your daughter, it should be fine.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.