Bad Axe, MI asked in Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: My son is currently on juvenile probation and would like to live with his dad in a different county...what can we do?

He is currently on consent calendar. When we spoke with his juvenile probation officer he said that we needed to have FOC change custody in order to have my son released to his dad and that he would be violating his probation if he were to live in another county. I have checked his court order and it does not state that he is required to remain in this county. It also states that he is remanded to the "parents" custody. Is there another alternative we can seek without getting FOC involved?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: For the best advice, we'd need to know the terms of any existing custody order. Has there been one? If not, then only you are a "parent" for juvenile placement purposes. Even if you do, a proper juvenile placement with dad would mean that he would need to have a court order giving him primary physical custody. That is likely what the probation officer said you need to work through the FOC and the court system to change custody.

Unfortunately, once a child is under the family court jurisdiction, you lose a lot of ability to make unilateral decisions for the child.

Even if the family court were not involved, a custody order would be needed for dad to enroll the child in the local school at the very least, and so this court action might be something you'll need to do regardless.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.