Independence, MO asked in Bankruptcy, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Missouri

Q: Is there any way to protect myself from subrogation if I didn't cause the accident and wasn't driving?

I'm being sued by Nationwide insurance; a company called NCS has contacted me, and I'm not sure what to do. My boyfriend hit another car, and totalled it out, while driving my car, without insurance on it. I wasn't driving, but I was there, and the vehicle was registered to me. I paid for everything he was ticketed for, all his legal fees, I purchased insurance right after the accident, and did everything everyone said to do. He was abusive and eventually lost his job, and disappeared back to TN a year and a half ago. Now the only person they can find is me, and I reckon it's my responsibility to take care of everything, because it was my car. But I don't have the money. I barely make it by myself. I know that isn't anyone else's problem, and that I am accountable, so I'm not really asking for sympathy. I've worked really hard my whole life to be at least a semi-decent person. I don't know what to do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I. Don't agree it is your obligation. It may be but it may not be. 2) Help them locate your ex--if you get sued you need to sue him for "contribution," 3) find out what the claim is for. If it's for property damage only, and they give you a FULL release of ALL claims including injury claims then it may be a deal. If it's just for property damage and you face an injury claim, no deal.4)contact a lawyer who handles insurance defense. It may be they will charge a consultation fee but worth it if you have large exposure.

5) Know that if all else fails you can declare bankruptcy. You must list as "creditors" not only nationwide but each person in either car (other than ex boyfriend).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.