Breaux Bridge, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My ex husband got arrested for domestic abuse child endangerment and domestic abuse battery. I have my son

He is the domicilary parent and we currently have a joint custody plan in effect. I think I need to file an ex parte but not sure of where to get the application for St Martin Parish16th judicial court . Can I do that on my own..I can't afford an attorney and I make too much money for a free attorney ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Zitzmann
Mr. James Zitzmann
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: The clerk of court for your parish may have pre-printed ex parte custody forms, so you'll need to call and ask if one is available. If they do, you can do it on your own, but you should at least have a consultation with an attorney as there can be many moving parts for an ex parte petition. For example, you'll also probably want to ask for permanent sole custody and a modification of child support, depending on the situation. There also may want to be other relief you want to ask for, and the pre-printed form might not provide for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.