Berlin, WI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: can I get child support for my son who lives with me full time if there is not a court order yet in place?

We had joint placement but my ex didn't have day care for him so he said I had to take him for the summer. Now that schools in place he wants him every other week again and I think he's doing much better full time with me. He refuses to pay anything more.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If you want to receive child support, you would need a court order in place to be able to enforce it. In most cases, child support will follow a placement order so you will probably want to request an order for primary placement and then request the court to calculate child support for that as well. Going by the standard percentage calculation in Wisconsin, child support would be calculated using 17% of the payer's gross monthly income.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.