Stowe, VT asked in Bankruptcy for Vermont

Q: I filed for and was granted a chapter 7 discharge. Do I have to pay past due property taxes ? I gave up my property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nels Hansen
Nels Hansen
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Round Rock, TX

A: You should contact your bankruptcy attorney or a local bankruptcy attorney with this question as it concerns bankruptcy and local property taxes. Property taxes are usually assessed against the property and the legal owner of the property based on a specific assessment date. In Texas, if your name is on the deed January 1 then you are responsible for the property tax. If the lender has not foreclosed or otherwise taken the property out of your name you will continue to be responsible for the property taxes. The home owners association will also look to who is the legal owner of the property when they send out bills. You want to be sure the property is out of your name.

If you do not have a bankruptcy attorney, contact one and schedule a consultation. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.