Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: Do i have to pay my rent this month?

Water has been leaking thru my dunning room baseboards. They can't find problem tore up my carpet. It has been over a month. The mold is bad. Now she said she will move us to different apt next week. I am disabled and will have to hire movers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Webb
Kevin Webb
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Yes, pay your rent and hire an attorney to sue immediately.

Here's the deal. You either will appear in front of the judge as a deadbeat who has failed to pay--no matter the excuse--or you can appear in front of the judge as an unjustly wronged tenant, who has spent months paying for substandard conditions.

There is no exemption from paying rent, or permission to withhold rent, because of a bad premises. However, uninhabitable circumstances, depending upon facts, may help you when you have moved out and seek to make things right. There may be remedies available to you. But you must speak to an attorney about your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.