Oak Creek, WI asked in Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: Was attacked for no reason by teen with autism while babysitting. Parent lied about aggressive behavior prior employment

Was attacked for no reason by a teen with autism while babysitting. Parent withheld full information and lied about violent behavior prior employment, describing him as "quiet and not aggressive". Police was informed and report was filed. School was also informed. Now my back in injured and nobody is held responsible. "Nobody can do anything because he is disabled", were mother's words, who showed NO surprise or sympathy towards me. How to hold her responsible for lying and make sure her violent son would not attack someone else? How to make sure he will not attack me or my minor children, while this violent teenager lives across parking lot from us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: BasicTort (negligence Law) makes no exception for negligent or intentional acts by an incompetent (youth or otherwise).

Lawsuit for damages can be held against the youth and or parents (limitations do apply to some of this.) From what you state the it does not seem that the District Attorney or Municipal Attorney will act to file a complaint and also ask for restitution. A civil restraining order could be requested, (see the Clerk of Courts for forms), so that he must stay away. I hope this helps. If you have access to the police report and bring it to an attorney, they also might be able to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.