Denver, CO asked in Small Claims for Colorado

Q: Can I sue the pet sitter and get my money back?

I hired a guy to pet sit at my house. He was the boyfriend of my friend's daughter. I paid him $600 cash up front with written instructions on how to care for my animals. I deem that a contract. From watching my camera, he would leave at 10:30am in the morning and not come back until 2:00AM. He never let my cat in and the cat was out the entire time without food or water. He broke the antenna on my car and I did not give him permission to drive my car. He also drank 4 bottles of specialty vodka I had bought for christmas presents. He had 3 friends sleep over at my house and they stopped all of the drains up. He was negligent in the way he cared for my animals. He never left water on the patio or cleaned out the cat box. Can I sue him in small claims court to get my money back for the pet sitting and the damages he did to my property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can sue in small claims court. You can visit the Colorado Courts webpage for all the forms.

For technical (legal) advice you may want to contact a lawyer. Expect to pay for the lawyer's time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.