Russellville, AR asked in Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: Felony assault charge 12 years ago. Is there a chance to ever get this expunged from my record or sealed

The felony charge was in Missouri

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Joseph Childers
Adam Joseph Childers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • North Little Rock, AR

A: Yes, you need to petition to seal the record and allow the prosecutor to look over it to see if they have any objections. Due to the length of time since the conviction hopefully there would not be an issue. You would not need any other criminal convictions on your record in order to get a positive response from the prosecuting attorney's office. But, even if the prosecutor objected it would be up to the judge on whether or not to seal the record. Just having the prosecuting attorney's office not object is a lot easier obstacle in sealing the record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.