Troy, MO asked in Child Support for Missouri

Q: I am current on child support. My ex wife has just been sentenced to 5 years in the State Pen. What happens now?

I have always paid. Our children are 16 and 14 years of age. Do I have to file a motion for adjustment or does it stop automatically.

If I have to pay, why? and where does my money go?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The answer depends on where your kids are living. If they're living with relatives or in a foster placement, you may have to continue to pay child support and the monies will go to their caretakers or the state. If the kids are living with you, then you need to immediately file to terminate support or ask for support from mother (regardless of her situation). Contact a local attorney to discuss what you need to do because it is time sensitive (the longer you wait, the more you pay and may not recuperate) and fact specific.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.