Onalaska, WI asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: A payor pays support in two seperate case,the child in the first case passed away.Can I ask for an increase? In Wi

Both cases have arrears owed.I am not being greedy but the payor only pays 50.00 on my child's case if and when they do pay!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK

A: Yes, assuming your child support was based on an income calculation that deducted support paid to the child from a previous relationship. However, the $50 amount suggests that the payor's income is very low, so adding that previous support amount back into his/her income may not bring the amount above the $50 minimum. You'll need to ask the payor for a current tax return and paystubs, and then do the math. You can ask for recalculation if the difference is more than 15%.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.