Florissant, MO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Do I need a lawyer for this case?

Hello, I am married but separated with 1 child. My husband is not on my child's birth certificate and we never had a DNA test done. My son has never lived with him other than spending 1 summer with his father after he returned home from the military. My husband is trying to put me on childs support and refuses to sign divorce papers unless I put him on my soms birth certificate. I do not want him on there and I have taken care of my son since birth. He lives with me as he always did and he goes to school from my home. I filed to place him on Child support and also filed for divorce. Should I get a lawyer in court for this situation? He is playing really dirty and I don't want any of his lies to hurt my son in the future

1 Lawyer Answer
Mrs. Shelly Renee' Reece
Mrs. Shelly Renee' Reece
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Family Law and Paternity cases are complicated and can have effects far into the future. I would suggest you consult with an attorney in the county you have filed your case in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.