Miami, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: How can i divorce my husband who is homeless

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In order to sue someone, including for divorce, the person bringing the lawsuit has to notify the person being sued. This notification is called “service of process.” There is more than one way to accomplish it. However, when you suspect that the other party is homeless, and there is no way to find them, a common way to give that person notice is through publication in a newspaper that circulates in a county in which the person is likely to see it.

If you want to accomplish service through publication, you must make a formal request to the Court, which requires a written motion and supporting affidavit addressing specific statutory elements. The court will then (hopefully) issue an order granting your motion and allowing you to run your “notice of action” in the newspaper, once a week for 4 weeks. After that, if the other party doesn’t respond, you can ask the clerk (with a written motion) to default the other party. After a clerk’s default is entered, you can move for a final judgment after default. Now, there is more than one way to skin a cat, but this is a traditional and common way to divorce a homeless person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.