Laurel, MD asked in Wrongful Death for West Virginia

Q: Just about a week ago to this day I got a knock on my door, to find out it was the office clerk at the apartments

She handed me a paper which had a court date and time on it ,low and behold I recognize the court hearing for my dad's wrongful death lawsuit was 15 min after receiving the paper. There was no way I could have even made it there In that amount of time. Therefore the hearing went on without me and being my dad's only daughter the money was given to my greedy stepmother,and my uncle whom was listed as the son of my dad in the court documents.Is there anything I can do to receive my portion of the lawsuit.that I feel I have been done very wronged in this case.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Yes, you challenge that under the estate law --contact a member of the West Virgina Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults.

A: You need to speak with an attorney in West Virginia. You may have a case against the personal representative, and possibly against the attorney handling the wrongful death case. Call me if you wish to discuss this case. My number is (304) 263-0900. I can refer you to another attorney if the case is not local.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.