Hoboken, NJ asked in DUI / DWI, Products Liability, Appeals / Appellate Law and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: What can I expect at court? How much would the fines be? Could I lower ask for the judge to lower the fine?

I had a sealed water bottle of about half of liquor. I was on line to attend to a frat party whe then cops stopped me when I was holding the bottle of water. He asked me if that was alcohol and I didn’t know what to say so I looked at my friend. Then the cop started to yell at me. I wasn’t bring any attention to myself. The cop assumed that I had liquor with me, but I didn’t drink it or nothing. I am 18, a college freshman. I also didn’t have my id and they threatened to arrest me in the moment I had to give my information for the ticket. On the ticket it says I violated 20:7-7B

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you put alcohol in the bottle it was no longer sealed it was an open container under the law. Because you have not given a violation number we cannot tell you the penalties you face and what can be done. That being said if it is a 2C charge you bugged problem is not the fine but possible jail and a criminal record. In any event I suggest you hire a lawyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.