Wynantskill, NY asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: How do I qualify for a pro bono divorce (very simple, no kids, property, no assets. .... nothing.....) I am on ssd. Ty

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The Latin phrase “pro bono publico” means “for the public good.” In common usage, it describes a situation wherein an attorney takes a case, free of charge, because they believe doing so would benefit the public in some way. Many attorneys take pro bono cases because they have a special interest in that practice area, or in the type of person who needs help.

There are no special, absolute, or exact qualifications one must possess to receive help from an attorney. However, many attorneys and legal-aid organizations may have some minimum qualifications or qualifying factors they consider. A good place to start looking for help is to search for local legal-aid organizations, contact the Florida Bar, contact local attorneys, and contact other charitable organizations.

The best thing a person can do to qualify for legal aid, or any kind of aid, is to volunteer and join charitable organizations. If you are a member of a church, community group, charity, or legal-aid organization and frequently give of your time to help others, you will find others willing to help you in your time of need. Give and ye shall receive. Speaking for myself, I am a member of a local church, and I help one church member at a time. When the representation concludes, I start a new one. I do not think I will ever run out of well deserving church members who need help.

An unfortunate fact of life is that legal services are astonishingly expensive. There are far more people, who need legal help but cannot afford legal services, than there are attorneys who can help those people free of charge. So, what you will need to tell someone is why you deserve to receive thousands of dollars of free services to the exclusion of the long line of people before and behind you who will not be served if you are served. It is sad but true.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.