Cincinnati, OH asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Got pulled over without valid license (expired). Have court date but we live 2 states away, whats the best option?

License was suspended in 2016. Was reinstated in 2017. Didn't know we original license was expired and would have to go get new one. Live in Ohio, pulled over in Illinios.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

Honestly, the best advice is probably just to mail in a guilty plea and $120. You should consult an attorney in your local jurisdiction to see what they think the impact is for a license offense but here in Illinois, they are typically not recorded to the record so there is a possibility it may not appear on your record. In contrast, failing to appear or pay may be interpreted by your state as a suspension worthy offense. In our neighboring Indiana, suspending licenses of drivers who don't pay or appear is standard practice and if Ohio has a similar policy, your state may choose to suspend your license for inaction even though our state would do no such thing (unless you deposited your license as bond).

I hope that helps and let us know if you have any questions!


Jason A. Wilkins

Traffic Attorney

(630) 445-2293

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.