Brick, NJ asked in Environmental for New Jersey

Q: Can I bring a class action suit against JCP&L?

I live in a residential zone in a small town along the Jersey Shore. For some reason, JCP&L operates a sub-station in my same residential zone. In addition to polluting the environment with EMFs, they are pervasive, constant noise polluters. They disregard the town's zoning and community standards and operate the substation 24 hours/day, 7 days a week. Complaints to resolve this issue have been completely ignored by the utility and JCP&L has 100% destroyed the quality of life for myself and my neighbors. What recourse do we have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Andrews Cade
Gregory Andrews Cade
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL

A: Yes, initiating a class action lawsuit might be a good idea if there have been multiple complaints from residents which the company failed to promptly resolve. Depending on the extent of the problem, JCP&L may be held liable for corporate misconduct and/or environmental damage. However, before filing a class action lawsuit, it is crucial to consult a lawyer specialized in this area of practice, namely in Environmental Law, as they have the necessary knowledge to thoroughly evaluate every aspect of your situation and tell you whether taking legal action is a worthy endeavor. If initiating a class action lawsuit proves unfeasible, a lawyer with vast experience in pursuing cases which involve environmental pollution will also be able to provide you with alternative options.

Finally, to increase your potential lawsuit’s chances of success, you should get as many residents involved as possible, preferably people who were significantly injured or whose lives have been severely affected by the company’s activity. It is highly recommended to have at least 40 individuals partaking in the lawsuit in addition to the lead plaintiff, who can be you or another resident.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.