Asked in Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: What happens if you have court for no insurance and still have not gotten insurance on a car ? Had insurance but expired

Got pulled over for having a headlight out. But got a ticket because of my insurance being expired so I have court on the 3rd and have not yet gotten it because it is my gfs dads car we were driving and he has not yet gotten it. What are my consequences?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Eureka, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Make sure you go to court and tell the judge that you are still working on getting proof of insurance. Ask the judge for a continuance of the court date to give you more time to get proof of insurance. The judge will grant the continuance and you will most likely get a new court date that will give you another 30 days to resolve this.

You can bring proof of insurance to the judge and ask them to dismiss the ticket, but the judge might not dismiss the ticket if the car really was not insured when you got the ticket. If the car WAS insured at the time you got the ticket but you had an expired insurance card in the car, the judge will most likely dismiss the "No Insurance" ticket if you go back to court with proof that the car was insured at the time you got the ticket.

If the car was not insured, your best bet is to hire a traffic law attorney to represent you if you want to make sure that you get this 4-point "No Insurance" ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction. In some courts (not all), the judge won't dismiss the "No Insurance" ticket even after you bring proof of current insurance to court if your car was not actually insured at the time you got the ticket, while an attorney can very likely get the Prosecutor to amend the "No Insurance" ticket to a non-moving, no-point infraction in this type of situation.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.